Clothing as our “second skin” - Why choose bamboo fabric?
Clothing as our “second skin”.
The skin is the largest organ of our body. The skin works for us all day and night - warms us and cools us and breathes for us. Our clothes protects our skin and forms our “second skin”.
For the better part of our life our skin is covered by multiple fabrics that keep us warm/cool and make us look and feel great! Did you know that your skin absorbs a significant portion of what is put on it (especially the undergarments)? What you’re wearing literally can become part of who you are!
What fabric should I avoid?
For many of us, our skin cannot always tolerate the texture of the various fabrics it comes in contact with. One could be allergic to fabric dyes, glues, acids, chemicals and detergents used to treat fabric, or maybe just the friction caused by tight garments. Friction from your garment can also cause rashes in your skin folds.
Here’s a brief rundown of things you might find in a garment that could cause irritation or rash:
- Chemicals or Allergens: e.g., formaldehyde and Para-phenylenediamine (PPD)
- Dyes: e.g., Disperse Blue 1, Azo and anthraquinone
- Latex, spandex
- Wool (particularly on dry and sensitive skin)
So, if you are looking for skin friendly fabrics, avoid those that have Polyester, Acrylic, Acetate, Triacetate, and Nylon. These synthetic fabrics are not natural. They contain chemical compounds like synthetic polymers in polyester and petroleum in nylon.
Most people who have fabric allergies normally also suffer from existing skin conditions like eczema. If you have eczema, try wearing loose fitting, light-weight cotton garments, which are soft, and allow your skin to breathe and heal.
Why bamboo fabric is special?
Bamboo clothes are a gift to the world. Some people say they love bamboo fabric so much, they may never go back to cotton.
Those with tender skin or chemical sensitivities who may experience allergic reactions with other textiles can usually wear bamboo material without any problems. It's so comfortable and adaptable that you'll want to wear for everything from going out to dinner to just relaxing around home.
The amazing versatility of bamboo fabric makes it the number one choice for clothing. Bamboo can be spun purely or easily blended with other fibers such as hemp, silk or organic cotton creating magical fabrics.
Bamboo fabric benefits:
- The fabric is light and strong.
- The material has a natural sheen and feels silky and soft. You have to feel it to believe it.
- Has the ability to make you feel cool. It won't stick to your skin, even when it's hot.
- Odourless - Contains a natural antibacterial agent called "Bamboo kun" in the fibre which prevents bacteria growth. That helps you stay fresh and odor free.
- Highly absorbent and breatheable because of the natural ability to wick moisture from the skin - keeps you dry
- Anti-fungal and hypoallergenic - even after fifty washes
- Bamboo is biodegradable and many other amazing environmental benefits